Monday, August 29, 2011

Giving an Account

This morning was the fourth time that my new men's accountability group has met for breakfast so I thought that I'd post a few early observations.  These observations are not meant to give any real insight to our group, just general thoughts on building relationships.

We've been meeting at a local waffle house for breakfast each Monday morning.  I've been told that I'm odd for ordering oatmeal when I go out to breakfast, but it's what I've had each morning that we've met.  Last week, three of the four of us ordered oatmeal, this week--a different three of four.  I only bring this up because one of the other three guys is one of the people that, at one point, thought I was weird for ordering oatmeal at a waffle house.  As a matter of fact, he points it out on a comment to this post...almost three years ago! (His is the fourth comment.)
...And now, he has ordered oatmeal for breakfast at a waffle house (even though he couldn't finish it!).

I think that we are starting to get more comfortable with each other and we are starting to talk about things that affect our attitudes (positive and negative).  We are encouraging each other to read the Bible daily and talking about our roles in our church and as Christians in general.  I expect things to develop into deeper discussions as we continue to meet.  Actually, I'm enjoying getting to know these young men a little bit more each week.  I hope that are also enjoying the time together and are not growing impatient with our progress, but learning about each other and looking for ways to help each other as we grow together towards being more like Jesus in our daily lives.

Do you have somebody that holds you accountable in your Christian walk?  Do you have somebody that encourages you? Lifts you up? Challenges you?

I think that we all need somebody to help keep us on the right track.  It seems that women have an easier time of finding friends to fill this role than men do.  It seems to come natural to them.  Guys have to be more deliberate; more purposeful about it.  In either case, find an accountability partner or group and start building each other up.

Just do it!

John<><

 9 Two are better than one,
   because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
   one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
   and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
   But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
   two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heyyyy, are you that guy who diverted my plane to Dulles?
In a roundabout way, growing up shy led me to strangers. And let me tell you, no one can pester a stranger better than I can, but here's what I've learned along the way. Talk, straight, honest, funny talk pulls us together and plows right over misconceptions. So, go forth & gab!

John A Hill said...

Nope, Diva, it wasn't me. Actually, diverts are the call of the pilot or the company. ATC is pleased to guide your flight safely to its destination, where ever that may be.

Thanks for stopping by Out of My Hat.

Emily said...

I appreciate a place that you all can go and be able to lift each other up! Also... give him a hard time cause he orders oatmeal from McDonalds!