Wednesday, May 28, 2008

You Can't Get Blood From a Turnip

It's true. Turnips don't have blood...but you do, and many people are in need of what you have.

Here in Southwest Missouri there are two organizations that handle blood donations and distribution. The American Red Cross and The Community Blood Centers of the Ozarks. Both of them serve a vital need. When we first moved to the area I was unfamiliar with the local organization and went to the Red Cross for donating. I have continued to donate blood and blood platelets through the Red Cross. You should check out your community for a blood donation center or call the hospital and find out where you can contribute.

The thing that prompted today's topic was a mailer that I received from the National Marrow Donor Program. The mailer was just to verify my address. I have been on their list of potential donors for about fifteen years. Once I received a notice as an initial match and went for additional tissue testing, but that was all. Today, there are many ways that marrow or stem cells can be used to cure people of terrible diseases. When there is not a family member available for donation or if the family member's tissue is incompatible, the donor list comes into play. Matching tissue from a non-related donor is a long shot at best. If you are an African American, Native American or Asian the odds are even worse since there are so few that are registered as potential donors. I want to encourage you to squeeze out a little blood for a tissue sample and register as a potential donor. There are thousands of people that are in need of a donor...many will die while waiting. So far, I haven't been able to help any of them. Maybe you can. It won't take a lot of your time and may save a life.

John

6 comments:

Mike said...

I just recently started donating blood again. It's a long story. One that needs a Ted Drews in your hand to tell.

John A Hill said...

Any story is better with a Ted Drewe's in hand. My personal favorite is the Dutchman with hot fudge instead of chocolate.

Sicilian said...

Great post. . . . working at a hospital I know how much blood one patient can use . . . . I have not given for awhile. I am trying to get motivated because I tend to get run down and sick after I give, but I know the need is there.
Ciao

John A Hill said...

Some additional info...
If I remember correctly, the shelf life of whole blood is about 45 days. For platelets it's only five days. You can donate platelets again after 72 hours but the Red Cross limits you to 24 donations per year. Unless there is an urgent need, twice a month works well.
For whole blood you can only donate every 56 days.

Anonymous said...

Hey there, John... just wanted you to know that I'm praying for your family right now. I haven't been updated with what's going on, but I'm praying that Chris will be comforted throughout this trying time.
Love you guys!

Mike said...

I was coming here to leave a smart ass post about you not blogging for so long. I'm soooo glad Rich posted what he did. Thank you Rich!!!!!

John, I hope whatever is going on gets better.