Monday, July 01, 2024

Monday Morning

I'm not really doing much meditating this morning. I'm enjoying my morning coffee and looking out over the back field and small flower bed. In the past I have mentioned wanting to turn a portion of the field into a native meadow but research has made me realize that it will be no small project. This once pasture land is primarily fescue grass which is not a native grass and is a very dominant grass. 

I had asked (on a gardening page) if I could just over seed with my native grasses and wildflower mix or if I would need to do a shallow till first. The response was that it will be a big project that will take a couple of years to do right. Killing off the current fescue grass seems quick and easy, but it is hardy and so are the seeds that have dropped and will germinate when the soil is disced or tilled.
Two years of work just to get rid of the non-native invasive grass that our European ancestors brought over and now covers the pastures of the Midwest.
Sacrebleu!

I am going to have to rethink this project.
For now, I will tend to the flowers that I have and enjoy working the environmentally altered land that I have. 

John

No comments: