Monday, July 29, 2024

It's no big deal -- Or is it?

There is nothing extraordinary about my life. Most would say it is pretty boring. I don't really have a hobby, and I don't get out to do much. I spend most of my time in solitude or with Chris. Most days I do something in the yard -- mow, trim, weed flower beds, but not too much. I typically water the plants on the deck and front porch. If it hasn't rained for a few days, I'll water the flowers with the garden hose.
Sometimes I read. Sometimes I just sit and breathe in the energy of nature. I'm sure that I would be healthier if I felt the need to actually do something. I don't, so I'm not.

Maybe contentment is a kind of curse.
Or maybe this is the dream -- to be privileged to be content and happy with a life that is no big deal.

I am surprised at the simple joy I feel when new plants blossom. Yesterday we got our very first moonflower! These flowers blossom as the sun sinks low in the sky and then remain open throughout the night. I think they are so interesting and quite beautiful. 
Maybe I'll just be an old guy that tends to his flowers. It may not be much, but it is a pretty good life.

John


2 comments:

Mike said...

Maybe contentment is a kind of blessing.

Infidel753 said...

To be able to do what you want to do, and not need to do what you don't want to do, is surely the most desirable life.