Thursday, February 27, 2020

Writing a Book

After visiting with my mom this past week, I was thinking about writing a book...again.
She has always encouraged me to do so. I have more than one book beginning stored away in the cloud, but have never felt the drive to complete one. Driving home from Central Illinois I was thinking -- Lessons Learned from the Pulpit & Sermons Taught on the Street.

Every preacher learns more than they can share when preparing for a message. The message prep and delivery has often taught me more than I feel I have taught others. I have been humbled by people's compliments and sometimes challenged by their critiques -- but I have always learned through the process of preaching. 
I have also learned about preaching from other preachers. Some have taught me techniques that I have tried to copy; others have taught me things that I avoid. From listening to and observing other preachers I have learned that we can learn/teach more than just content, we also learn/teach something about our character.

As for the real lessons in life, I've learned these from the love and compassion of people in their day to day journeys through life. I hope that others have learned meaningful lessons from me, as well. I believe that we are all both teachers and students; preachers and congregants.
I have learned life from other bloggers and from stories shared on the internet. The truth is I have learned more about life, love, and the character of God from the streets than from any preacher's sermon.

I honestly don't know if this idea will ever move beyond the thoughts expressed in today's post or not. I just wanted to write it down somewhere so that I might remember it if the drive to write a book actually appears in the future.
Maybe some of the potential content will appear at Out of My Hat first.

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

Here's the contest. You and Bilbo. You both have to start on your books. Whoever writes the least words each week has to send the other one $10. I'll be the judge. Send me your word counts.

Unknown said...

I would love to help you with that!!