Saturday, February 01, 2020

Rest in Peace

I've always thought it to be one of the strange customary sayings when someone dies -- Rest in peace.
I guess it is because we are so focused on this physical life that is often filled with turmoil, it seems that death does give us a break from all of that.
But isn't it a strange wish? We say it like we believe in an afterlife; like our souls continue on. Do we believe that the afterlife is also going to be filled with peace robbing thoughts and activities?

As a follower of Jesus and a believer in a grand heaven, I believe our souls will be filled with unlimited energy and excitement to be in the presence of God. For the past week I've been sitting with my mom on a macabre kind of care/death watch over my dad.
My dad has been under hospice care for several months and confined to bed for the past several weeks. When I arrived to relieve my youngest brother last Monday, I was surprised at how much his condition had deteriorated since my last visit just a couple of weeks ago. He was no longer able to communicate verbally, a condition that came on rather quickly as he had said some words just the day before. I sensed some recognition and awareness, but that would also continue to deteriorate in the coming days. He slept almost all of the time as his emaciated body just refused to stop living.

He died Saturday morning -- 85 years, 6 months, 28 days after his birth.

I don't think he is resting or lounging about on the streets of gold inside the pearly gate. I believe he is face to face with his Savior, Jesus. I believe he is reunited with his parents and siblings that have gone on before him. I believe that old friends have greeted him warmly and they will celebrate a life well lived.
I believe that there will be no time nor need for rest and that love, joy, and peace will fill every moment. In fact, I believe there will be no time -- period. Time is a measurement used by us mere mortals and has no place in eternity.
I believe that when my time comes to join him it will be as if no time has passed at all and will simply be like him turning around to greet me.

Is Dad at peace?
Yes, he is surrounded by love, joy, and peace.

Is he at rest?
He has no need of rest.
He is home.

John

No comments: