Saturday, February 01, 2020

February thoughts

Adios, January 2020!

This morning I'm sitting in our tiny apartment, on its uncomfortable couch, drinking my Ethiopian coffee and feeling grateful for my simple life. The events and lessons of January are teaching me to be more appreciative of the simple blessings of life.

The first step in appreciating simple blessings is being aware of them. I have become so conditioned by my environment that I often fail to recognize the simple things that are a part of my everyday life as blessings. Though this apartment is small, it is safe and warm. Last night, hundreds of people in Springfield MO slept on cots in a shelter, in their cars, or outside in the below freezing temperatures.

This morning I am well rested and enjoying a cup of good coffee. There is food in the 'fridge and pantry and my concern about "what" I will eat today is a matter of choice, not a question of if, when, where, or what I might eat today.

I'm pretty sure I will take advantage of the nice weather today and take a mentally needed long ride on my motorcycle. Though it is an older bike with a smaller engine than most cruisers, there is no doubt that it is a luxury item that I could easily do without. We also own two cars, have a stable income and are building a new home that will be packed with the accumulated stuff that is now in storage.
I guess I'll never be able to claim we lead a simple life -- and that's okay. I would like to simplify our lives and be less tied to things and more concerned with people. I'll let you know how that's going at the end of the month.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Speaking of your new house. You are taking pictures of what's going to be in the walls (wiring, plumbing, etc.) aren't you?