Thursday, July 18, 2019

How can I not be noticed?

The struggle is real.
If I could somehow manage to only be noticed in the social media world, but remain anonymous in real life, that would be cool. But it seems that being noticed in the social media world gets you noticed in real life, as well.

I went through my Instagram account today and dropped a bunch of follows and muted a few more stories. Facebook becomes more of a problem because it isn't like someone can follow me, but I don't have to be their friend. I feel like a bit of a jerk if I don't "follow" someone that is supposedly my friend. The truth is that there are a quite a few Facebook people that I know (or more correctly, know of) that aren't really my friends.

I've been getting people from church that have made friend requests. There have been a few that I have no idea of who they are and I have declined them. Many I know who they are or have an idea of how we are connected and I've added them. Some I have unfollowed -- not because of anything offensive or bothersome, but just because I have nothing other than church in common with them. If they want to continue to follow me, that's cool. It's also okay if they don't. I can't think of anyone that I've requested to be friends with in quite sometime.

I've seriously considered abandoning the whole social media thing as a means of keeping up on others. I probably use my Twitter feed for keeping informed more than anything. I still have regular blogs that I read and have often considered that it may be time to shutdown Out of My Hat. In a week it will be the 13th anniversary of my first post. I'll probably keep writing for personal fulfillment and not worrying as much about content or hits. That's pretty much the way I started -- just a place to write. I care much less about self promotion or sharing my own thoughts with others than I have in the past.

Recently, someone asked me if I am a recluse.
I've never thought about that, but it seems like it would be an okay life. Truthfully, I don't mind being around people if I don't have to interact with them too much. I'm comfortable in a stadium packed with baseball fans or sitting on my deck alone and watching the game on my computer. I never really feel like I have to be alone. I just like it that way. I also never feel like I need to be around people. I just accept that sometimes I have to if I'm going to function as a part of society.

I think it's a little weird that most people feel the need to be connected with everyone they meet. When I meet someone, I never think "We should be friends on Facebook!"
I'm still more likely to give them my phone number and tell them to call me if they want to get together for coffee or something. Maybe I'm just old or less willing to adapt than I realize.

See?
That's what writing does for me. It helps me with self reflection and self assessment.
Now I need to decide if I think like an old person and if that's a good thing or not. I have choices to make -- change or be comfortable with how I am.
Hmmm...
Maybe life would be easier if I didn't write.

John <><




1 comment:

Mike said...

"I just like it that way."
Yes we do.