Thursday, January 25, 2018

Finding Happiness with (and without) Social Media

I've been spending less time on most social media forums, and I've been making my presence on forums less visible. In a weird sense, I've put blogging into the social networking category, even though I never intended for it to be that way. I think that it made its way as a social media tool when I started using social networks as a means of sharing it.

I've had people question why I bother to blog. (It usually comes from someone critical of something I've written.)
I think it's mostly because I like to write and it can be therapeutic at times. I put it in a blog because it's a convenient place to store what I write. 
I suppose I should counter with a "Why do you read my blog?"

In any case, I'm certain that I'll keep writing. I'm still not certain about the continuing social media links. I can see that much of the blog traffic is generated from Facebook, so I may continue those links.

I have been pleased with the results of disconnecting the Facebook app from my phone. Along with that, several notifications have been disabled. I need to remember to check my email from time to time now -- sometimes several days go by. I'd like to report that spending less time on social media has put me into more real life conversations with people -- but it hasn't. I have been doing more reading and a little more exercising.

Less time on Facebook, fewer comments, and fewer responses to stupid, provoking comments has made me a happier person. I've decided that people have to be free to choose ignorance and misinformation as their standard if they what to do so. I also know that I can't inform them of my thoughts and perspectives if they choose to ignore me. I know that we can often look at the same subject from different perspectives and see something totally different. The only way to understanding is to see it from the other's perspective. When we only want people to see our perspective but have no desire to see their's, understanding and compromise becomes impossible. Most of us are eager to talk about what we believe and why. Few of us are willing to listen to someone explain what they believe and why. Even fewer will listen with an open mind instead of listening to criticize.
I'm finally realizing it is easier (and way less frustrating) to just be quiet rather than arguing with someone that won't listen and doesn't want to accept new information.

Never argue with ignorant people.
They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.



John <><

1 comment:

Mike said...

The graphic is really good.

"Never argue with ignorant people. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Nothing could be more true than this.