Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipse 2017 ... and 2024

I'll give you my take on the eclipse.

Before I do that, I should tell you that I am an admirer of the celestial realm and generally keep track of upcoming events. I have been known to be up at 3 AM for meteor showers or lunar eclipses. We packed the kids to venture into the path of total annularity (May 10, 1994) for an annular eclipse when they were young and  I have called home from working a mid shift to make Chris wake them up for a spectacular meteor shower.

It still isn't that unusual for someone to call me with a question about a star, comet, event -- even when the information is available to them on the same device they are using to call me. Sometimes I think they're just testing me.

This event has been on my radar for some time and traveling a few miles to advance from 96% to the total eclipse wasn't even a question. It will come as no surprise that the 2 minutes and 31 seconds of total eclipse was an event well worth setting the day aside. The difference between 99.9 percent coverage and total eclipse is too significant not to mention.

In the hour leading up to the full eclipse, there were many interesting things that I observed.
The crowd that had gathered in the park was a mix of people from all ages. Several had telescopes with cameras attached. Most had lawn chairs. Some had blankets. I even saw a couple of air mattresses. People were talking to strangers and enjoying the day. Even the little fast food restaurant across the street from the park had a sign that notified patrons they would be closed from 1:10 to 1:25. Totality began at 1:15.

Even though it was midday and the sky was still relatively bright, the diminished daylight was enough to cue the night sounds and the birds and bugs became active. The light sensitive street lights came on. The feel of the air cooled as if you had just stepped into the shade of a large tree.

At that moment -- when everybody removed their eclipse glasses and looked at the total eclipse -- a spontaneous cheer and applause happened. Then the sounds of the crowd became more muted as people looked on in wonder and amazement. It makes me a little sad that we have overused the word awesome because this event was truly an awe inspiring event.

I don't have any pictures to post -- and I'm not sure if I would post any pics, even if I had them. I've seen pictures of an eclipse and there is no way to convey the raw feeling of experience. The difference between this and the annular eclipse was ... well, astronomical!
If you were indifferent about the eclipse or unable to get into the belt of totality, I would encourage you make every effort to see a total eclipse the next time you have the opportunity.

As most of you are already aware, the next total eclipse to pass over the US is April 8, 2024. Even though it will pass through Southeast Missouri, I'm thinking that the beach in Mazatlan on Mexico's Pacific coast will offer a more enjoyable view. Is it too early to start planning a trip to the beach for the spring of 2024?
Whether you watch it from Toronto, Ontario in Canada, Poplar Bluff, MO in the US or Mazatlan, Sinaloa in Mexico, you owe it to yourself to see it.

The next total eclipse will only be visible in South America.
July 2, 2019 might be a good time to visit Argentina!

John <><


3 comments:

Mike said...

I don't know if I would go to Argentina and risk a cloudy day.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Whew! That's a long plane ride for an eclipse!

Unknown said...

That's a long plane ride for an eclipse!


หนังตลก