Saturday, July 30, 2016

Taking Part in Our Electoral System

Since the close of the two political conventions, I've been thinking of how I might take a more active part in our political system this year. We have already sent money to different campaigns, but there is so much more that can be done.

Being retired gives me a few more options and allows me to be available to volunteer. I suppose I could even work for a short time in another state, if needed.

I may forego the self imposed political ban on my blog. Even though it has cost me readers, friendships and preaching/magic jobs in the past, I may just try to be more gentle in my approach and let the consequences of being me happen as they will. I've already been called out on a "like" on my Facebook feed. Too often, we are simply misunderstood.
As a part of a back-and-forth comment contest between opposing views, one friend interjected something about scrolling past with the understanding that their opinion wasn't that important and added that neither was his. I "liked" it -- not because I was opposed to the comments, but because I knew that he had also posted (on his own feed) the solid red pie graph which show the people that get mad but don't change their minds due to Facebook posts.
It was taken as they should have scrolled past and not left a comment. Sorry.

I'm probably not going to respond to many opposing views on social media. As already noted, it really doesn't do much to change people's minds. I'm not a big fan of people arguing on my feed, but if that's what you want to do -- bring your A game. Friends of both sides are pretty passionate and modestly well informed. We may not agree, but most of my my friends are not idiots!

Right now, I don't know what (if any) political activism I may be a part of. I do know that the next 100 days will be long and filled with too many lies, too much hate and not enough simple, honest discussion and dialogue between candidates and the voters and between people of opposing views. We will tend to count on biased news sources, 140 character tweets and 30 second commercials to decide on which people we would have represent our communities in DC. (One friend already lamented that she never thought she'd miss tampon commercials!)

Are there any campaign volunteers among my readers?
Are your social media feeds how you share your views?
Do you contribute to any campaigns?
What do you really know about the candidates?
How will you participate in the process?

John <><



2 comments:

Mike said...

"Do you contribute to any campaigns?"
Yes, I've sent money to many campaigns.

"What do you really know about the candidates?"
Only what the campaigns want me to know and what the press digs up. And if you find an honest man (or woman) don't forget to let Diogenes know.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

This is not a time for political activism for me.