Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Christianity...as a Hobby

hobby (hob ee) --noun; an activity pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.
from Dictionary.com

As a magician, I consider myself to be a hobby magician.  It's true that I perform at a level above the level of doing tricks for friends and family, but it is not at the level of earning a living at it.  As a matter of fact, I seldom promote myself as a magician and do little to no marketing for jobs, but still manage to have quite a few paid gigs every year.

I would have to say that I've invested in magic at a level far above the average hobby magician, but again, below the level of a true magician (professional)--especially in the area of time investment.

Some might say that since I'm regularly paid to do magic, I'm a professional magician. I disagree (and I think that the ones that promote, market, and make a living at magic would also disagree).

I have been to a number of magic conventions, workshops and lectures. I have belonged to magic clubs and subscribed to magic periodicals. These things help me to be a better magician. They are an investment of time and money, but they don't make me a magician.  Most days, I don't find myself thinking about ways to promote myself as a magician.  In fact, most days, I don't even think about magic at all. Most of the time I'm just John--husband, dad, air traffic controller, and just struggling to make it through another day.  Generally speaking, people don't see John and think -- magician.

Definitely not a professional magician.

I say all of this because I've recently been considering that I often pursue Christianity in much the same manner--as if it were a hobby.

Okay, so I may take it to a little bit higher level than your average hobby Christian. I rarely promote myself as a Christian and do little to no marketing to get jobs.  However, I do get called on to preach from time to time. I do get asked to special events and often end up with quite a few "paid gigs" during a year.

I might say that I've invested in Christianity at a level far above the average hobby Christian, but again, below the level of a true Christian (professional)--especially in the area of time investment.

I've been to Christian conventions and workshops (and committee meetings by the hundreds!), and attend regular club meetings (We hold them every Sunday, if you get my drift.), and I read Christian publications and blogs.  These things help me to be a better Christian. They are an investment of time and money, but they don't make me a Christian.  Most days, I don't find myself thinking about ways to promote myself as a Christian.  In fact, most days, I don't even think about Christianity very much at all. Most of the time I'm just John--husband, dad, air traffic controller, and just struggling to make it through another day.  Generally speaking, people don't see John and think -- Christian.

Truthfully, I don't expect to make a living as a professional Christian -- but Christianity should be my life.

When people see Criss Angel or David Copperfield, they think -- magician!
If I want to be recognized as a magician, I'm going to have to become a magician. More than being what I am, it has to be who I am.
It will take a change in attitude about myself and my surroundings. I will need to pursue magic in everything. I will need to promote myself as a magician.

In the same way:

If I want to be recognized as a Christian, I'm going to have to become a Christian. More than being what I am, it has to be who I am. 
It will take a change in attitude about myself and my surroundings. I will need to pursue Christ in everything. I will need to promote -- not myself as a Christian; I will need to promote Jesus as the Christ; the Messiah; the Chosen One; God's Son; God.

The time may come when I will work on the professional magician thing.
The time for me to move beyond being a hobby Christian is now.

How about you?

John <><

1 comment:

Sicilian said...

Great post John. . . . I can relate.
Ciao