Friday, June 25, 2010

Just Waiting...

This morning finds me waiting for the American Red Cross Apheresis Center to open for my 8 o'clock appointment. There is now a standing joke about one of the nurses calling the police on me. I generally donate after working a mid-shift. Often I will park in the parking lot and sleep in my car while waiting for them to open. One morning, one of the employees saw me in my car, didn't recognize me through the tinted windows, tapped lightly on the window and when I didn't respond, she called 911.

I woke up a few minutes before the police and ambulance arrived and went inside to wait. That's when she realized that I was the one in the car. I'm sure that the police and paramedics got a little bit of a laugh out of it. I know that it made me one of the more memorable donors and am reminded of it each time I come donate after working a mid-shift.

Listening to NPR as I wait this morning--it was 60 years ago today that North Korea invaded South Korea. Sad that we continue to have issues with North Korea today. Just yesterday I was feeling very badly for the North Korean soccer team that performed so poorly at the World Cup. In an unusual move, the North Korean government allowed the live broadcast of the game. I wonder what awaits the players that "embarrassed" their country with such a dismal performance.

Also on this date--only one year ago--Michael Jackson died. Apparently, death was a good financial move for Michael. Not only did the incredible spending stop, the assets of old music, memorabilia, etc., have skyrocketed.

Listening to the news reminds me of how great my life is. The Gulf oil spill is causing problems for the locals in Louisiana. The drug violence in Mexico is spreading. The military structure in the Middle East is in flux after inappropriate comments by a loose lipped General. Here I only have to deal with minor issues. I have a nice home, a good job, a great family. Life is good.

I know of many that are dealing with joblessness, health issues, financial crisis...I wish that I could do more to help them. I almost feel bad that I have so much going on. I'm glad that I'm able to do occasional free (or close to free) magic shows for seniors or kids. I did that Wednesday afternoon. It was fun and not my usual venue. Not only is it good for my audience, it allows me to work on different things and prepare for doing more magic when I retire from the ATC gig.

Well, it is time to take care of the pre-donation paper work. Have a good day. Do something for somebody else today. Offer encouragement, help, a smile or kind word. Donate blood, platelets, food, money, time. Give of what you have--even if you have little. You'll be glad that you did.

John

No comments: