Friday, June 04, 2010

C. S. I.

It's early in the morning on the day of Hopedale's Children's Camp. I am a little bit anxious about camp this year. While I really do like the "Who Are You?" theme and the crime scene approach, I'm afraid that I'm moving in a little bit different direction than the lesson time is going to be directing the kids.

We have a very good Children's Department and a volunteer staff that understands how kids learn as well as any professional staff. I'm looking forward to the lessons and the skits as much as the kids are. It may seem strange that I don't know what the lessons are or what the skits will be like. I do that on purpose. I don't want the message during worship to be based on the skits. I know the theme and will work with that. Usually, it all comes together quite nicely.

This year...I don't know. I have been given a summary of the skits since I've been asked to talk to the kids about trusting Jesus as Savior at the end of the final skit. Right now, I'm not sure how I'm going to reconcile the two different approaches to this "investigation" in a way that will make sense to the kids, honor The Word, and give glory to God.

Our Children's director asked me how many years I've been serving as Camp Pastor. It's been a few...I think 9 of the last 10 years. Maybe it's time for somebody a little younger to serve as Camp Pastor. Our Children's Director has changed (younger). Our worship team has changed (also younger). Our camp sites have changed. I'm just thinking...you know?

The TriCounty camp has changed over the past couple of years and I have had a diminished role each year...and that's okay with me. It really is about the kids getting to know more about our God.

In any case, today will be a long day. I had hoped to grab a couple of hours of sleep after the midshift before needing to be at the church at noon, but I just learned of a worker's meeting at 10. By the time I get to the feed store and take care of the horse, finish getting my things together for camp and make it to the meeting...well, it looks like maybe 11 o'clockish tonight before sleep. No big deal...unless, of course, I turn into the grumpy old guy! Not a chance!

Enjoy the weekend.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

"the grumpy old guy!"

You need to read Bilbo's post today.