Thursday, June 24, 2010

Catching up

Looking at the date of my last post and the date on the calendar for today, it has been 20 days since my last post. Coincidentally, that is also about the same amount of time that I have been without my HP Mini netbook.

You may recall that I damaged the LCD screen when my Mini fell to the floor. HP informed me that the minimum repair cost would be $250 and that I could buy a new mini for $279. I was checking into the new ones, looking at a iPad, and trying to figure out what I was going to do. A friend suggested that I might consider replacing the screen myself.

What?! Me?! I am a total computer moron. I do little "manly" stuff when it comes to home repair/maintenance, less when it comes to cars, and none--let me repeat, NONE--when it comes to computers. But, considering the options and the expense, I decided that I'd at least price a new screen. HP wanted about $110 and I found them elsewhere from $59-79. The main problem that I was facing was that there appeared to be a number of different screens that might work. I decided to order one from a local shop so that I would have some place to go if I ran into any problems--it was $85.

When it came in, I set about taking the old screen out. I was hoping that it would be as simple as removing a few screws and then unplugging the old screen, plugging in the new one, and re-assembling. It probably would have been except (there's always an "except") it wasn't the right screen. So...I took it back, along with the original and had them reorder it. For whatever reason, it took almost two weeks for the correct one to arrive--yesterday. As unbelievable as it might seem--I, Mr. Tech gadget moron--put it all back together and am blogging away on my netbook at this very moment!

I'll try to get caught up over the next few days. For now, the lawn beckons me. Then a few hours sleep before returning to the radar room for another midshift.

John

No comments: