In the short time since the death of Dolly Parton there has been a steady stream of tributes, life summaries, quotes, stories, and long lists of her accomplishments and stories. Though small in stature, everything about the woman was big.
I'm not going to recall her deeds here, but I have to say that remembering Dolly makes me wonder how I might be remembered.
And is it really all that important?
Remembering the accomplishments and deeds of one that has died is just recalling and appreciating what they did when they were living. Most of us will never have the money nor influence of a Dolly Parton, but that doesn't mean that we can't be kind, loving, and generous with what we have. I doubt that Dolly thought about being remembered as she lived her extraordinary life. She just lived life in an unforgettable way.
I'm not likely to do anything extraordinary today.
In fact, it is quite possible that sharing these words will be the most interaction with other people that I have today.
There is no kindness attached to sharing these thoughts.
There is nothing inspirational about just existing for another day.
I won't be creating anything, nor discovering anything, nor making any contributions to my neighborhood or to the world around me.
I'll read a little, clean up my outdoor living area (deck), maybe take some recycling in -- nothing that will generate a memory for anybody.
And honestly, I'm okay with that.
I won't be putting up statues, building monuments, nor slapping my name in public areas to force people to remember me. I'll just live my life and allow you to live yours. If we're lucky, maybe a few people will remember something good about us when we are no longer here.
John
Thursday, August 27, 2026
Remembering
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well said, John. Your last sentence hits it squarely.
Those who make history (Dolly) and those who aim to re-write history (the orange dumpster) should be remembered so we can teach our children the difference and the lessons thereof.
An unexpected, but much enjoyed human interaction today as a friend called to meet for lunch. It was quite nice.
Post a Comment