Saturday, July 25, 2026

Short sleepers

I've generally considered myself to be a short sleeper. It seems that six hours is a full night's sleep for me (still) and I often managed on 4.5 hours per night when I was working. Sometimes I will add an additional sleep cycle and get 7.5 hours, but I typically wake up and get up after 6 hours.

However, it appears that short sleeping as a genetic trait is pretty rare, so I don't know if I am a genetic short sleeper or not. The odds of getting struck by lightning are greater than the odds of being a genetic short sleeper.
I suppose it's too bad that I am not more productive in my waking hours. I am content to sip coffee and scroll the internet in the morning, read books during the day and evening, and likely enjoy a good cigar at some point on many days. Short sleeping should not be wasted on an untalented, uneducated, and unmotivated person such as myself. More waking hours should be associated with doing more for humanity or contributing to society in some small way. I consider that staying away from people on most days is my gift to society.

It is interesting to read about it and find that science is discovering more about it and has narrowed down several (4) genetic markers associated with short sleeping. I don't know if power napping is associated with short sleeping in any way, or if I am just fortunate enough to have both. 

I suppose it is a blessing that I am content to contemplate life and not be bored with these extra hours I have every day.
If you had an extra two hours every day, how would you spend them?

John

No comments: