Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Random Conversations and Unwanted Gifts

I get sharing confidential things or personally meaningful things with close friends. But I sometimes get people that are barely acquaintances sharing those types of things with me. It happened with co-workers and it still happens with random people I encounter. 

An older woman who is a widow sharing how lonely she gets living by herself.
A man I barely know telling me about his wife's recent dementia diagnosis.
Overnight guests at the shelter sharing personal struggles.
I don't think any of them expect anything. They just need to vent and need somebody to hear them and to see them.

Not long ago, a gay man that really isn't out yet, shared his story and his struggles with me. We are close to the same age, share a few life things in common and were sort of randomly paired together to work at an overnight shelter. It was the first time we met.
At the end of a long conversation, I felt compelled to ask -- Why me? What made you feel safe enough to share this with me?
Honestly, he looked a little shocked, like he just realized what he had done. But then he recovered and said - I don't know. You just felt safe.

If it turns out that my "gift" is to put out a peaceful vibe that puts stressed out people at ease -- well, I guess that's okay. But I don't have the training nor the education to know what to do -- other than to just listen.
Maybe listening without judgement and without offering advice is what people want and need.
Maybe people don't share because sharing generally opens up a window of condemnation.
Maybe they are not looking for advice on how to be fixed or to have their problem solved.
Maybe they just need a safe place and a quiet moment to rest from their struggles.

I don't know.
And I don't understand how (or why) I get to be that person.
Do you ever find yourself in a position that you are surprisingly well suited for, yet you are a bit uncomfortable with it?

I think many people that have known me are questioning the judgment of the people that confide in me -- John? Really?
In my head I tell myself -- I'm too old for this shit.
I think I've been dealt some pretty crappy super-powers -- short sleeper, power napper, good listener.
Makes me wanna say -- F*#k!

John

1 comment:

DB Stewart said...

You felt safe. That's a pretty terrific human endorsement.
Some people are very bad at small-talk; I know because I am one.