Monday, April 10, 2023

Breaking the Streak and Reading a Book

I stopped two ongoing streaks this past weekend -- I didn't play Wordle on Saturday or Sunday, and I didn't read on my Kindle app yesterday (Sunday). My consecutive days reading (on the app) ended at 593.
Now we'll see if I go back to playing and reading (on the app) every day or a little less frequently.

Currently, I am reading an actual paper and ink book. I am usually reading more than one book at a time - generally a fiction and a non-fiction. This is a non-fiction religious study book that I bought several months ago but just haven't read yet. I'm now about 1/4 of the way into it and I am enjoying the history and foundation that is being laid for what is to come.
It's N. T. Wright's The Day the Revolution Began: Reconsidering the Meaning of Jesus's Crucifixion.

The book fits well into the way my own re-reading of the bible has been shaping my evolving view of heaven and hell and the way I see my relationship with God, Jesus, and the spiritual world. Wright gives the reasons why my thoughts make sense to me. 
If you are a follower of Jesus but have always (or often) struggled with the loving God that punishes by eternal damnation, you would benefit from this book.
Or maybe you see yourself as a spiritual person that loves the teachings of Jesus but can't see following a religion that uses the threat of hell as a motivation for drawing (or trapping) people into it. I think that perhaps you might learn there is more to God than what religion has created. 

* * * * *

The sun is shining and my yard is calling for attention. I'm going to water the 67 bulbs that I planted in my compassrose/sundial flower garden and mow the yard portion of our property (about an acre, with a push mower). No problem getting my steps in today!
Then I'll be back here sitting on the deck this afternoon with a cigar and something other than coffee to drink.
Retirement does not suck.
I am loving spring!


John
I'm loving spring. 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day ! The book sounds intriguing maybe a must read as continue my own journey of discovering new ideas !

Mike said...

I've got a book assignment for you (and others) tomorrow. You might get the most out of it.