Thursday, February 09, 2023

The Bible as a Storybook

I was recently asked about teaching a small group at our church. I was told that I could pick the topic, time length, and place. I'm not sure if I'm going to do this, but I was thinking -- If I did, what would I teach?

There are a number of reasons not to do this. First of all, teaching in a small group forum really isn't my thing. I'm not a teacher. Moderating or leading a book study isn't my thing, either. Writing my own curriculum for a class most definitely is not my thing. And I'm not really much of an expert on any given subject, especially in matters of theology or churchy stuff.

But...
I've been thinking.
What if I were to examine The Bible from a storybook perspective?
What if we were to look at the stories of The Bible from the perspectives of history(why they were written when they were written) and what they can teach us (if anything) today?

Personally, I love the stories of The Bible. And naturally, I have my favorites. I have my favorite stories that I like to hear, and I have my favorite stories to tell. I also have my favorites based on what they have to teach us, or at least - what they have to teach me. 

What are your favorite stories to read, hear, or tell?
What stories do you think I should include in a class of teaching The Bible as a Storybook?
And why should I include them?
They can be well known stories or they can be stories that are obscure or often overlooked.

Whether or not I teach such a class is still a pretty big question, but I do think I'd like to write about the topic and include some of my favorites as well as a few of your favorites. 

What do you think?
Would that kind of teaching interest you?
Just wondering...

John

No comments: