Tuesday, February 28, 2023

I Was Wrong

I was wrong.
I didn't know that.
That's new information to me.

These are not bad things.
These are words from someone that is learning.

The ability to challenge what we know as a means of finding truth rather than to look for information that shows we are right is a mark of intelligence and essential to learning and growing.
Opinions are not evidence.
However, the opinions (or conclusions) of experts are more valuable than the opinions of non-experts.
Not only should we question what we know; we should question the sources of our information - both new and old.

I've learned that I have been wrong about a lot of things.
I wonder what I know now that I will later learn is wrong.
I've also learned that different perspectives can yield different truths. 

I think my 30 year old self would look at my 60 year old self and say I've gotten soft.
My 60 year old self wonders how often I hurt people because I couldn't see things from their perspective or even acknowledge that there could have been another perspective.

What lessons have you learned that changed how you think or who you are?
What are you learning now?
What do you know that just ain't so?

John


2 comments:

Mike said...

"What are you learning now?"
Republicans are bigger liars than I even thought they were.

Anonymous said...

I’ve learned that the important thing about stuff that happens to you is not the “stuff” itself but how you respond to it. It speaks volumes about your character.