Thursday, March 03, 2022

According to John, Chapter 10

John 10 

I ain't no sheep herder!
This is one of those places where it is obvious that Jesus is speaking to the people of that time and culture.
Seriously, what do I know about caring for sheep? 
Even many of the people that heard Jesus didn't understand what he was talking about.

So what is in this story for someone that isn't a first century Jew that cares for sheep?
Good question.

Here are my thoughts:
1) We can find out about sheep and shepherding. 

Typically we find someone else that has found out what it's like to shepherd and listen to their explanation. If you are like me, that means you've listened to preachers and teachers that have learned from preachers and teachers about lessons that have been handed down from one person to another. I really don't think I've heard much in the way of first or even second person teaching on the lessons regarding sheep and shepherds. That doesn't mean what you've heard is wrong, but it does give me some concerns about the typical agenda manipulation that takes place in religions throughout the world.

2) We can see if any of what Jesus says about sheep applies to us.

Here's what I think.
Jesus says that his sheep know him and they know his voice. Listen for his voice. 
You will hear it in nature. You will hear it in other people. Your will hear it in the stillness of your own heart and being.

I'm not talking about the god-spoke-to-me-now-I'm-going-to-do-whatever-I-feel-like bullshit that batshit crazy evangelicals and fanatics use. I'm talking about God/Jesus speaking to our spirits in ways other than through the words of the Bible.
Jesus says, in this very passage, that there are other sheep from other flocks and he plans to bring us all together. What if it is God who speaks to the Native Americans through The Great Spirit?
What if it is God who speaks to Asians through the Buddha? What if it is God that speaks to the Arabs through Islam? What if many of the world's religions are God's voice being filtered and distorted by man?

Listen.
You know him and you know his voice.
If it is not speaking love, it is not him.
If it is self-centered or self-serving in any way, it is not him.
If it harms another person, another creature, or even the world around us -- that's not him.
Listen,
and follow the voice of love.

John



No comments: