Thursday, October 17, 2019

Magic; What now?

We've been packing up to move and I have boxed up a bunch of magic books, DVDs, and a whole lot of VHS tapes. I have also packed away lots of magic effects -- some that I use often, and others that I have rarely (if ever) used in a show.

With the coming out of my previous post, it occurs to me that I really no longer have a familiar venue where I can perform magic. With only an occasional exception, all of the magic shows over the past two decades or so have been at churches, church camps, or church sponsored programs.
I few years ago I bought a school program, but have only used it once. Some of that program's props and set-ups were lost when I lost my show traveling on my bike a couple of summers ago. I could still rework the show and use it; I'm just not sure that's what I want to do now.

So...
What do I do with all of this stuff?
Do I work on some close up stuff and look for a walk around gig at local restaurants?
Do I rework my stand-up show and find gigs for corporate parties?
Do I start over with kids' birthday parties and low paying gigs?
Or do I just sell it all and hang up the old top hat and magic wand?

I suppose I have plenty of time to figure something out. All of that stuff will be in storage for the next several months while our home is being built. I suppose that I can access some of the DVDs if I want to work on some new stuff, but probably won't. I had kept out the props I usually use in my typical church show, but won't be needing that now.
In any case, it will be spring before I have my stuff and can work on a new magic me or sell it off and become a new me sans the magic.

It may just be the wave of the wand, a final *poof* and the Magicianary vanishes for good!
We shall see.

John <><


No comments: