Saturday, October 05, 2019

Peace

At the close of Thursday night's Downtown Venues, Pastor Ben asked us to write down what peace means to us or where we find peace.

It is a pretty chaotic world in which we live. Peace can be pretty elusive. Even when we are able to shield ourselves from the news or find a place away from others, there are still the voices in our heads that clamor for our attention. Simple quiet time often isn't enough to help us find a place of peace.

I feel pretty fortunate to spend little time around energy draining people. I might read too much negative news during the day, but at least I have control over that. I've become pretty good at utilizing contemplation or meditation as a means of focusing my thoughts and energy on important things rather than just urgent things.
Although I don't think of myself as being very materialistic, I have to admit that I am looking forward to spending mornings drinking coffee in the screened in back porch of our new home. I expect that those quiet mornings will be wonderful, peaceful times.

What does peace mean for you?
Do you have a peaceful place?
Do you find peace in an activity such as running, riding, or listening to music?
Do you find peace in prayer or meditation?
Or has peace simply eluded you and you find yourself yearning for the rest that a few moments of peace might provide?

And I was wondering --
Can we help others to find peace or is that peaceful rest purely an inside job?

John <><

No comments: