Thursday, August 01, 2019

Zen

I'll admit that I know little about Zen and the practice of Zen meditation. However, it has long been a personal belief that all living things produce an energy and energy frequency, and we can (with practice) connect our energies. I think I have felt this even before Star Wars brought the idea of The Force to the teen version of myself.

I have never had a meditation teacher, nor have I ever had a regular practice of meditation. I have often used meditation practices to quiet my mind to sleep, to relax, or to release stress. I am not certain where that type of thinking came from, nor am I certain of how long I've been quietly using meditation as a way of emptying my mind and allowing my spirit to freely take control. (I'm not sure that's the best way to describe it, but it's the best I have at this point.)

I have never consciously studied or followed the teachings of Buddha and it has been nearly forty years since I read a book on the life of Siddhartha Gautama. (At the time I started reading it, I did not know that this was The Buddha.) Over the years, I have read books on other belief systems and world religions. Although many of them predate Jesus, most of them are very much in line with the teachings of Jesus when it comes to living life in harmony with others.

One thing that I've noticed is that evangelical Christians seem far more interested in the afterlife and often seem to miss the joy of the present moment. If we follow the voice of Jesus (John 10), I believe that the good life he promises isn't limited to the afterlife, but also includes a present life of love, peace, and joy.
I know that many of my evangelical friends will worry that I think that the teachings of eastern religions are compatible with the teachings of Jesus (or the other way around since they predate Jesus). You need not worry about me. The truth is -- I worry that you are so concerned with the afterlife that you are missing out on the great joy that God has for you to enjoy this very day!

I urge you to take the time to find God today. It doesn't require a great journey or pilgrimage.
He is in you!
Find a place without distractions. Leave your phone in another room or turn it off. Be aware of your breathing. Feel your heart beat. Then let it all go and listen for God. If you get distracted, if other thoughts creep into your head, come back to your breathing, come back to your heartbeat. Letting go takes practice. If you find it difficult to recognize the voice of the Good Shepherd, it might be because you've never really taken the time to listen. Maybe there has always been too much noise in your head. 

Be still.
Find quiet.
Feel love.
Know peace.

John <><



2 comments:

Cloudia said...

Thank you for this thoughtful, useful post!

allenwoodhaven said...

Be still.
Find quiet.
Feel love.
Know peace.

Good advice!