Thursday, August 15, 2019

Finding Joy in the Moment

I'm enjoying my morning coffee and contemplating life before going out for my daily walk  --
  Not life in the past (There are lessons to be learned from the past, but not right now.)
  Not life in the future (There are plans for the future, but there is no promise of tomorrow.)
I'm just thinking about life right now; in this very moment.
And life is good.

I am learning that we don't always get to live the life we once dreamed of. I'm not saying that you should give up on your dreams. I'm just saying that slowing down enough to enjoy the moment is every bit as important as pursuing tomorrow. It is easy to find peace and joy in the quiet of the morning. I have good coffee (an Ethiopian blend), a comfortable home, laptop and high speed internet, and good health.
It isn't difficult to find joy while out walking, but I have to admit that it takes a little more effort. My walks are pretty purposeful. I don't choose a scenic route or stop to enjoy butterflies and flowers along the way. My walk is to complete the task of walking. But even so, there is joy in the act of completing the task, of progressing towards better health, of feeling a connection to the world around me.

The thing is, as I observe people and look at myself, I see that we are often so focused on doing, striving for something, completing a task, reaching a destination, etc., that we end our days without having experienced a moment of true peace and joy. I know that I have a great advantage in being retired. I have plenty of time to contemplate life and enjoy the moment.

But you have time, too.
Stop. Take just three minutes.
Breathe deeply.
Listen as your heart rate slows.
Gradually slow your breathing.
Feel your body come to rest.
Wait.
Don't rush it.
Let yourself feel the physical part of peace first.
Enjoy the moment.
Love yourself.

Contemplative meditation is a weird thing. It takes lots of practice. Three minutes may seem like a long time at first. Many say that it takes twenty minutes to move beyond this first stage into a more serene and beneficial time of meditation. I've found that a daily practice of even a few minutes helps to find joy in even the most mundane tasks. Chores like mowing the lawn become less of a job and more of a joy when I look at it as taking care of something that I value.
I can somehow find peace in living in the Ozarks even though I had hoped to retire to a Mexican beach. I can live without much of what I desire. I can live without much of what I have. I am learning gratitude for the many blessings I enjoy.

Thank you for sharing a few moments of your day with me.
I wish you a peaceful and joyful moment in your day.

John <><

1 comment:

allenwoodhaven said...

We do get so busy with things that need to get done that we don't take those three minutes often enough.
At least I don't; I'll make more of an effort. Thanks for the reminder!