Thursday, February 23, 2017

Evangelism Conferences 2017

I'm going to a conference today -- The Missouri Baptist Great Commission Conference (formerly the Evangelism Conference).
The truth is -- I'd rather go riding!

I'll do a little of both in that I'll ride to the conference (which is only about 20 miles) and since Chris has dinner plans with friends, I'll get a little evening ride in before coming home. But 70 and sunny is going to make hanging around with a bunch of preachers pretty tough for this rebel. I have extreme doubts that I'll make it the full three days!

I have two local conferences in the next few weeks. One is in my home association so I get to sleep in my own bed every night. The other is about 90 miles away. If the weather is forecast to be nice, I'll ride again. Last year, I rode home from that conference in the rain. No biggie.

I'm not really sure why I go to these things. It's primarily for exposure, but so few churches still use evangelists for revivals and teaching that I'm not sure it's worth it. I guess that I could be better at marketing myself and get more bookings. Many of the full-time evangelists have regular bookings and are hard at it to fill their open weekends. I've been pretty passive in this area.

I've never had any real training on how to be a successful evangelist.
Heck, I've never had any training on how to be a preacher of any kind. I just preach the gospel as it is written.
I don't preach a lot about hell or judgement.
I don't preach doom and destruction.
I don't preach to make people afraid of a God of wrath.
I don't preach to make people afraid of God (period)
Maybe I don't get as many bookings because I'm boring.

Maybe I'll just spend more time on my motorcycle this year.
I do have several New Testament bibles in my saddlebags at all times and don't mind sharing the gospel on an individual basis, but I rarely stop riding long enough to converse with others. Maybe I just need to work on that part. It's not like I need the pay from going to meetings. God has already blessed us in the way of provisions.

Ugh!
Time to gear up for being with a bunch of people...

John <><

4 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

There's no need to scare people of God in preaching about Him. No.

Mike said...

"I don't preach ..."

So you're smarter that the average evangelist!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

What you choose To preach about would seem To be more of a positive message.

Patrick Hill said...

I always chuckle to myself when people speak of "educational requirements" for preachers. So many of our biblical heroes were not credentialed by any educational body. Paul and most of the prophets, maybe, but the rest were just regular people who loved God.

Besides, few people come to a saving knowledge of Christ at a church event. If they're at church, they usually already know Him. Most people come to know Christ through the relationships that they have with His people. Go ride your bike. Strike up some conversations with people at rest stops and parks along the way.