Thursday, December 10, 2015

Thursdays are for Thanksgiving

It's late on Thursday evening and I am typing while watching the UFC Fight Night.
I started to write my Thursday post early this morning but set it aside because it is not something that is easy to write about.

Monday afternoon, Chris and I spent a few hours visiting with a man and his wife in their home. He has terminal cancer and knows that the coming days will bring the very last Christmas that he will spend with his kids and grand kids.
We had a very nice visit. Other than the medical talk, you wouldn't know this couple is facing death in the coming months. I know that their hope is in Jesus and they are trusting God for the strength to face the coming days, but praying for them at the end of our visit was hard.

I know that I have taken life for granted. I go to bed each night with the full expectation that tomorrow will come -- for me, for Chris and for our kids.
But the truth is -- tomorrow is not guaranteed.
The coming Christmas could be our last Christmas to celebrate with our loved ones.
There is no promise of tomorrow, or next week or next year.

So I am thankful for today.
I am thankful for life and (oddly enough) I am thankful for death. I think that without knowing there is an end to life, it is too easy to miss cherishing the simple moments -- the sunrises and sunsets, the gentle breezes and the raging storms...and the rainbows, too. If there will always be tomorrow we will wait too long to say our I love yous and make our apologies.

I know that my friend would love to hang around a while longer.
I also know that he is ready to stand before God.
Are you?

What will tomorrow look like for you if you wake up dead?
If your life after death begins tomorrow, what will it be?
Are you trusting in your good deeds to gain access to heaven?
What if it isn't enough?

Because -- it isn't.

We are all sinners and unworthy of entrance to heaven.
Jesus said that no one comes to the Father except by him. He took on our punishment and gives eternal life to those that would believe and receive it.

I am thankful for today. It was a beautiful day -- mid 60s in mid December! I put around 100 miles on the motorcycle today and had dinner out with Chris. If I get a tomorrow, well ... I'll be thankful for that too!

And I am thankful for my Lord and Savior, Jesus.
If you need to know get to know him, drop me a note in the comments or send me an email, tweet or text. It would be my honor to introduce you to each other (of course, He already knows who you are!).

John <><

No comments: