Thursday, July 02, 2015

The Retirement Advantage

With the Nation's Birthday celebration upon us, one can easily expect the beautiful lakes around the Ozarks to be filled with boats for the weekend. Since our boating friends are off for the week, we are taking advantage of a week day outing and hitting the lake prior to the 3-day weekend rush.

As you can imaging, being able to do things during the work-week has some huge advantages--the biggest being no lines, no waiting, and no crowds.

I know that I've mentioned that I often go entire days (sometimes consecutively) without talking to anyone other than Chris. I really have been working on that. Yesterday I introduced myself to another young couple that lives in our little subdivision. I was out walking, they were sitting on their porch (as they often are), they waved (as they often do) and I stopped to introduce myself and chat for a little bit. The husband (Mike) was home early from work so that worked out nicely.

As you might expect, I see a number of stay at home moms with their little ones as I walk during the week, but wouldn't really consider stopping to talk with them unless their husbands are with them. We generally wave or acknowledge one another, but stopping to introduce myself would feel a little creepy and might make them uncomfortable.

In any case, my acquaintance world is slowly growing.
I have also been surprised at the number of former co-workers that I've had contact with recently. I really don't think that any of them read this (maybe one), but it has been nice to catch up and see what they are doing and to know that they are a little jealous of the old guy that left.

It looks like today will be a busy day. I'll probably talk to 4 or 5 people throughout the day. I'd better get my quiet time in while I can and get mentally prepared for those encounters.

Have a safe and enjoyable weekend.
For my fellow countrymen, Happy Birthday to the US of A!
Celebrate our freedoms.
Pray for our leaders.
And remember -- the retired guy doesn't get a three day weekend!

John <><

2 comments:

Mike said...

Retired guys get 7 day weekends.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Being able to shop during the week is a big plus! But isolation can be a problem. Hope your circle of acquaintances grows!