Saturday, February 18, 2012

Spring Training! What I Like About Baseball

It's been a very mild winter in the Ozarks and this is the weekend that the baseball world has been waiting for since the St. Louis Cardinals won the 2011 World Series last fall. Spring training camps are open and it's time for baseball to begin once again!

This afternoon I looked out the window and saw a small boy with a ball and bat. I watch for a moment as he placed the bat on his shoulder, tossed the ball one handed into the air and swung the bat ... and missed. He picked up the ball, set himself for another swing and this time he connected. To my untrained (and unimaginative) eye, it didn't appear that he hit it very far. In his world, the ball carried much farther. I watched as he raised his hands and pumped his fist and made his home run trot around a set of imaginary bases before picking up his bat and ball and continuing in his solo game of baseball.

Yeah, it made me smile.

Baseball season is back!

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

Baseeball bean berry berry gud to me.

Duckbutt said...

You can always tell it's Spring: robins and baseball! Can grilling season be far behind?