Monday, March 03, 2008

Weekend Notes

Another fine weekend has come and gone. Actually, Saturday was pretty much of a wasted day since I was pretty wasted myself. After working the midnight shift from Thursday night to Friday morning, I usually try to stay up and busy with minimal sleep to get back on schedule for the weekend and normal sleeping hours. This turned out to be not such a good idea as I ended up being called in for an overtime midshift from Friday night to Saturday morn. After going the additional day with only a few hours sleep, I slept from about 8 am to 4 pm on Saturday. Chris and Hannah went to a movie Saturday night and I was left to veg-out in front of the TV alone.

Sunday, however, was another fine day. It was windy and warm and I had a great time. I was preaching in the morning at Living Waters Community Church in Nixa MO. Although I have been there several times in the past, this was the first time that I was there to preach. Living Waters is currently without a pastor and will be filling their pulpit from week to week or perhaps using an interim pastor until they call a new pastor.

Sunday night found me at my home church for just the second time in six weeks. We had a visiting music group--The Pitman Trio--as guests and they did a wonderful job of singing and praising God with great harmony and song. I hope that they were blessed to come and worship with us. I know that we were blessed by their presence at Hopedale.

Unless I get a last minute call to be away next Sunday morning, I'll be at Hopedale for the first Sunday morning in seven weeks. God has been good to me, blessing me with many opportunities to be sharing the Good News, but I do miss the friends (really family) that I have at Hopedale.

This week I'll need to find out about Aaron's car, see where the adjustment for hail damage on our roof is at and take care of what seems to be a million other nagging details of life! Time to get busy!



Kevin said...

Those double mids are difficult enough when you can prepare for them. I gave up the mids over a year ago and I don't regret it at all. I used to love to finish my week with them as it gave me a jump on the weekend but somewhere along the way my body said no more.

John said...

I normally work double mids every week. A couple of the controllers ahead of me don't care to work their mids, either. This was actually a third mid...for the second week in a row. At least on the previous week I knew about it in advance.

Kevin said...

If my body would allow it I wouldn't mind working a double mid given today's at times ridiculous approach to our working conditions. It would get me away from so much of the daily nonsense.

Enjoy them while you can, John.

John said...

That's really the main reason I work them. I find that is a lot easier to maintain a positive attitude when I remove myself from much of the negativity that is brought to the work place from both management and controllers.

Mike said...

When I was working for the phone company I was "on call" many times. I would go to bed at 10, get called out at midnight, get back home at 3 or 4, and get up at 6:30 to go to work.

John said...

"on call" working for the phone company! I'm sure that it wasn't very punny when they called in the middle of the night.