Monday, September 28, 2026

Monday Meditation

It has been a long time since I have written a Monday Meditation post, but it feels right as I am sitting here with a light throw over my shoulders and sipping my coffee as the sun rises on this early autumn morning.

It is not the first time that I've contemplated living a life without purpose and I don't really know why I am thinking about that today. Perhaps it is because I see so much striving and stressing as people compete with one another to achieve status or stuff that they are missing the simple joys of just living life. 

I feel as if we have been manipulated into believing that we have to be something or do something in order to be successful at living. 
There is a story that a teacher asked her students what they wanted to be when they grow up, 
John Lennon replied, "Happy."
She said he didn't understand the question.
He said she didn't understand life.

What if we made being happy our purpose in life?
I suppose one might say they need money or power to be happy and so they strive to accumulate wealth or rule over people. I know there are people that really do not care if their own goals cause pain or suffering for others, and I know that many people with wealth and influence do many good things for society in general. 
I guess we all get to choose our "happy."
This morning I am happy to enjoy my coffee and appreciate the present.

I remember when people used the -- Today is the first day of the rest of your life -- quote as an inspirational/motivational tool. 
Some people see today as one more day; some see it as one less.
I suppose both ways give the day value in its own perspective.

Cleaning out flowerbeds in the fall is certainly about hope for the future and a plan for spring flowers. Doing things today as a part of planning for the future or cleaning up the past is just a part of living today. I won't say that working in the garden makes me happy.
Flowers make me happy, but they won't grow well and look beautiful without the work, so...

My purpose for living today is simply to be happy.
I honestly don't expect to do anything to make someone else happy, so you are on your own for that. 
I will just be tending to my little spot in a big world. Maybe I will have an interaction with somebody and an opportunity to make them smile, but it is unlikely. 

I hope that you find value in today.
I hope the day brings you peace.
I hope you find a moment to be happy.

John

1 comment:

DB Stewart said...

A round of applause for that John Lennon story.