Wednesday, October 07, 2026

Mountain mornings

This is my view on this Wednesday morning.


Sunrise through the Ponderosa pines of Colorado.
It is a brisk 49 (10 C) degrees on the deck of the kids' place, but the day will warm up nicely. The mountain setting is a little deceiving because it really looks peaceful and serene, but there is a pretty busy highway just a very short distance away and the noise is quite an invasion into the otherwise calming atmosphere. 
I suppose that if the deer, bears, and foxes that are frequent visitors to the kids' place can tolerate it, so can I.

Nights and early mornings are pretty brisk at 8700 ft (2650 m) in early October. I'm in sweat pants and a heavy sweater (still barefooted), but the morning sun feels warm and encouraging. This will be my home for the next few weeks.

I started to write a very different post this morning. I really am having a difficult time processing the culture that enables the assault that took place at Cornell a few years ago, the entitlement and privilege that swept it under the rug, and the people that don't seemed bothered by it or only seem bothered that it has now come under scrutiny.
I will write that post at some point. Today I am frustrated that character no longer matters in our society and we would rather make excuses and cover up for sexual predators that to defend their victims.

WTF is wrong with people?

sigh

Today I am going to pet dogs, visit with the kids, enjoy the mountain air and the energy of the pines. I am going to find some peace in nature.
I am not going to ignore the injustices of the world, but I honestly don't know how to best give a voice to the oppressed. I'm not sure that I believe that the pen is mightier than the sword. Maybe it is just that there are too few people willing to write freely and fairly about injustice and to drag oppressors into the light where the sun will fry them for the life sucking vampires that they are.

John

No comments: