Friday, June 16, 2017

A Baseball Blessing

It turns out that the one game the Cardinals won in their four game series with the Brewers was the game that I attended!

It was a warm day (95f, 35c), but a beautiful day for baseball and a long ride on the motorcycle.
I picked up a good seat via Stub Hub and was in the 11th row near the left field foul pole. (Why is it called the foul pole when it's in fair territory?)


I enjoyed my pregame meal of a ballpark dog with sauerkraut, grilled onions and mustard and settled in for the game. (The 'kraut and mustard are under the dog)



There was a young man seated behind me that reminded me of my son, Aaron. He was very up on the Cardinals' farm system, 40-man roster, player stats, etc. It reminded me of going to ball games with Aaron. We talked for several innings before I needed to get up and walk around a bit. I was sitting in the hot sun and wearing black, heavy denim jeans (for the motorcycle ride) and was starting to bake a bit.

The game wasn't well attended as it was a midweek day game that was added to the schedule to make up for a previous rain out. Still, there were many families with young kids at the park and the ice cream and cotton candy vendors were probably doing nearly as well as the beer vendors.
I made my way around the stadium, pausing to watch the game as standing room in shaded areas allowed. By the time I made it back to my seat, the shadows were hitting the top row of my section so I decided to park it there and wait an inning for the shade to cover me.

I'm glad that I got to see a winner.
The team pretty much stunk in the remaining games of the series.

I made my way back to my motorcycle. Because of construction, I couldn't get back on the Interstate where I normally do and decided to take the city streets to meet Mike at Ted Drewe's. We had a nice visit while enjoying frozen custard along the iconic Old Route 66.

I have to say that I really like the coolness of the Kevlar mesh riding shirt over the vented textile motorcycle jacket. The Draggin' shirt is like a big sweater and is plenty warm when you're not moving, but allows great airflow when riding.
At 95 degrees, it's going to be hot no matter what. You're on a hot concrete slab and sitting on top of a hot engine. There's nothing about moving through 95 degree wind that is going to really cool you off. I like having the long sleeves to keep the direct sun off my arms and I ordered the yellow shirt because I figured it would be cooler and more visible than the black one.

It was a good day!
I stop more often when it's that hot and try to stay hydrated. It was an hour past sunset when I got home and my helmet and goggles were covered with small bugs.

I've noticed the Royals have a midweek day game against the Red Sox on the 21st.
Might be time for another road trip!

John <><


3 comments:

Mike said...

You're going to have to start attending more games.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

A road trip for baseball rocks!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That hot dog looks really tasty.