Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Cutting the Cord ... well, the cable.

Yes, it is that time.
We are joining the multitudes that have cut the cable!
Our local cable media monopoly is Suddenlink. We have them for both internet service and our cable TV package, and the cost has gotten out of hand. Interestingly enough, Suddenlink's retention department had lots of incentives (including a lower price for our current package) to keep us to stay with them.
Too late!

In the end, we increased our internet speed and dumped the cable.
We also now have a streaming plan with Sling TV. The increased speed and Sling TV will be about 60% of what we've been paying for slower internet and cable. Plus I get to take it with me and can watch on my phone anytime.

In truth, other than sports, I don't watch a lot of TV.
I mean, it's often on, but I'm not really watching. I enjoy some old series reruns, but it isn't like I really need to watch them. The channels that Chris usually watches are available on our base package with Sling, but I'll be giving up all of the ESPN channels. I could add them, but most of the Cardinals' and Blues' games are on Fox Sports Midwest.
And I think the a la carte menu will work well if I want to add them for a big game.

There are a few other channels that I won't have, plus some that I gain. Overall, I doubt I'll see a big change in my TV habits. I am looking forward to the savings in the budget!

It's a small step in simplifying things.

John <><

3 comments:

Mike said...

My son pays for Sling and I have access. I also have Netflix. And I don't watch much on Netflix anymore. I could probably save 10 bucks a month.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A great move, John! I hope the change continues to satisfy.

Unknown said...

Jeana and I have a few network shows that we like and I'm a bit of a news junkie. We've been talking about cutting the cord for quite a while. I think we'll probably do that soon. I just need to figure out what to do about internet service.