Monday, August 20, 2012

How Much Faith Do You Have?

When it comes to our religious beliefs (or the religious beliefs of others), there is always that immeasurable element of faith. Sometimes we forget that it even takes a great deal of faith to be an atheist.

I bring this up because of a couple of pics posted on Facebook and because I'm rereading the book I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek. I like this book (I did say that I'm rereading it) but I'm not certain that I would consider it a book to give to your atheist friends. Some of it might be viewed as condescending. I think that it is more of a book to equip believers that might encounter unbelievers in discussions of God or faith.

The images that I saw were these:



and...


Both of these tend to mock somebody's belief and both require a lot of faith to believe either for or against the beliefs mocked by the signs. It might also be noted that even though the second sign was made in response to the first (and is a bit more antagonistic), Christianity is not the opposite of atheism. It is only one of several theistic beliefs and is a much greater jump from atheism to Christianity than from atheism to theism. 

But the main point today is that Atheism also takes faith. 

I think that many atheists are atheists that follow blindly without ever examining the merits of their beliefs. I might say that the same is true for many Christians, Jews, Muslims, Mormons or what ever your brand of theism is.

My post today is brief. I simply want to challenge you to examine what you believe. Is there evidence that helps you to believe the way you believe or are you relying solely on the teachings of your parents, church, culture or something else.

Nobody has to share why you believe what you believe, but you can if you choose to.

Have a great week.
John <><


5 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

You are so fully right, Atheism does take an act of faith. And sometimes it's accompanied by an auto de fé with regard to other people's sensitivities. People can be so cruel in attacking others' beliefs.

Big Sky Heidi said...

Atheism makes assumptions too.

Anonymous said...

The definition of atheism above is strikingly funny, sarcastic and true (lol) Makes perfect sense!

Anonymous said...

God said it! I believe it! End of story!

Bilbo said...

Ambrose Bierce, in his classic "Devil's Dictionary," defined faith as "Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel." Any sort of faith - be it religious or hard-shell political - requires blind assumptions, and tends to be impervious to discussion or the acknowledgement of contradictory fact and opinion.