Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Un-social Networking

So....

Facebook is innovating and redesigning once again.
So what?

Okay. I realize that change is never easy, but is it really necessary to complain about how much you don't like something to people that can't do anything to help you.  So far, we have apparently adapted to all of the changes that Facebook has made in the past and continue to use Facebook to keep in contact with (or stalk) our families, friends, enemies, classmates -- whatever.

There are other options (although the archaic snail mail is becoming even less of one) for keeping in touch--some that actually require personal contact of some sort.  There are even other electronic options -- Twitter, Google +, My Space (I guess that's still around) and others.  I guess we are free to complain about every change that Facebook makes without consulting us, but then again -- we are also free to quit using a free product that we don't like.

So far, I haven't found the change to be a big deal.  I always set my news feed at 'most recent' anyways, so now I just scroll down a little and there it is!  Changing settings to stop receiving news feeds from particularly annoying friends is easier, updating status is about the same, recent changes to picture file access is nice -- I guess I don't see what all of the fuss is about.

Just thought I'd throw in my own unwanted opinion.  I don't pay for the service. I don't advertise on the service. I just use it -- for free -- and am happy to have made contact with many friends and family members that also use it -- for free!

For all of the efforts that Facebook has made to make their service better -- Thank you, Facebook. Keep up the good work!

John<><  

2 comments:

Mike said...

I don't use it enough to care what they do.

John A Hill said...

Here are the reasons why and a third party app to return to the old way:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/facebook-mashes-google-twitter-into-new-design-driving-users-to-collective-caterwauling/2011/09/21/gIQAZVAolK_blog.html?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost