Monday, February 12, 2024

Monday Meditation

Some morning meditations are easy.
This morning it is snowing outside. The temperature just made it down to the freezing mark and it will only warm up a few degrees today. It looks pretty.
It is easier to appreciate the pretty when I don't have a need to go out in it. 
So...
I'll just sit here and think for a little while.

Over the past few weeks I have had a few different people tell me of small ways they have been encouraged by me. I am not saying that for recognition or a pat on the back. It is helpful to know that little things are noticed and appreciated, and it serves as a great reminder to recognize the simple things that others are doing, as well.

One of the freedoms of retirement is the freedom not to care or worry about what others think of me. I don't have bosses to impress, nor coworkers to deal with. Moving on from the preaching/evangelism gig means I don't have to concern myself with the harsh judgement of the loving church people of my past, and I have learned to reject criticism from people that I wouldn't go to for advice. If I don't value them enough to seek their advice, why would I value their criticism?

Recently, I was in a discussion about legacy -- What do we want our legacy to be?
Truthfully, I'm not that worried about how people will remember me. I honestly don't think that people will give much thought to me after I'm gone. Why would they?
I am more concerned with how they feel about me now -- not with whether or not they like me or agree with me, but how they feel when I am in their presence.

Do they feel seen?
Do they feel safe?
Do they feel valued and appreciated?

As I have become more aware of my own self -- the how and why of how others make me feel, I am also becoming aware of how I make others feel. 
It's no secret that I would usually choose not to be around a bunch of people, but for those times when I am, I hope that they are comforted by my presence rather than made uncomfortable by it.

Do you think about your legacy?
Do you wonder about how people will remember you?
Why not try living in the moment and being concerned with how we make them feel -- today?

It is said that people will not remember the things we say or do, but they will remember how we made them feel. The simple things we say and do have value because of how those things make people feel. 
Make somebody feel seen, safe, or valued today.
Maybe they will remember you.

John



No comments: