Monday, May 18, 2015

Mid-May Musings

It's a beautiful Monday morning in May here in the Ozarks. It is sunny and calm. I am sitting in the shade on the deck with my coffee and computer and life is good.

I'm still working on this retirement gig and trying to figure it all out. I've had several veteran retirees ask me what hobbies I have, if I like golf or fishing, how am I spending my time, etc.

Most days I just try to make sure I get a good walk in (3 or 4 miles). Some days I think about running (Hey, it's the thought that counts, right?). I read a little more than in the past. If I can't think of anything else to do and the weather isn't bad, I take the little motorcycle (Honda CM400) out for a ride in the country.

Eventually, I might get bored with doing nothing and feel that I need to have some purpose in life, but I'm good for right now.

The biggest drawback that I'm discovering is that my friends (the very few that I have) are still working. If I want to take a trip to St. Louis for a Cardinal's day game (or even a week night evening game), everybody has this thing they call a "job" to go to and I am left to decide if I want to make the trip alone or skip the drive and watch it on TV (which is what I've done, twice now). I think next time I'll just go ahead and make the trip, enjoy the ballpark atmosphere and the obligatory ballpark dog (or two) and the quiet time in the car.

After I upgrade to a more roadworthy size motorcycle, that will be a much better solo road trip!

On the ministry front, February and April were busy months, March and May--not so much. I did preach at a local church the first Sunday of May, substituted for a Sunday school class yesterday and have a family wedding to go to next weekend. So, it's not like I haven't had things to do. June has a couple of activities; preaching the 7th, a camp for the 3rd weekend and a couple of other non-ministry events.

I suppose that I do need to find a way to connect with more people. Although the quiet isolation is fine for me, it doesn't work very well in the life of a Jesus follower that needs to spread the Word. Eventually, I'm going to need to have some personal interaction with ... people.

I am sure that I'll figure it out ... eventually.
For today, I'm going to finish my coffee, take a walk and then see what happens next.
I hope that your day is as uncomplicated and as worry free as mine.

Be well,
John <><

PS  At some point this past weekend, Blogger analytics shows that I went over 100,000 page views on my humble little blog. 
Thank you for reading.

No comments: