Friday, December 05, 2014

Bah! Humbug!

Unfortunately, I am progressing well as a Curmudgeon in training.

For a short while, I thought that I was going to end up as a fairly nice older gentleman.
But then Christmas season has come along and inspired that curmudgeonly behavior to make its seasonal appearance.

Sigh.

I thought that listening to Christmas music would help put me in a cheery mood; it helps but I get frustrated with the format of the local Christian radio station.

Throughout the year, this station plays only Christian music. But for the holy season of Christmas, we get to listen to secular, seasonal songs that have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus. That just seems wrong to me--the regular stations play music that include Christmas hymns, and the Christian station adds non-Christ centered music to their format.

I'm also more bothered than I used to be by the commercial aspect of Christmas. Especially by well meaning (or maybe not so we'll meaning) Christians that join in the commercial shopping fray but get all agitated by a clerk that wishes them "Happy holidays!"

We (well meaning Christians) are all about the gift buying, gift giving, Christmas partying festivities and still manage to be quick to criticize anyone else that only celebrates the Santa Claus and snowman side of the holiday. If we were honest about it, we'd have to admit that most of our holiday activities have little to do with Jesus and more to do with family and friends. Not a bad thing, just not really CHRISTmas, if you know what I mean.

I certainly get that family time and gift giving are joyous times. But does my giving gifts with a nativity scene under the tree celebrate the birth of Jesus any more than a neighbor that doesn't know anything about him?

I think I need to be more clear about what I believe about Christmas. Too often, our actions betray our words.

I want to encourage you all to enjoy your holiday season--however you choose to celebrate. But at some point, you might want to ask yourself if the "eat, drink and be merry" part of your Christmas is all there is to life. Luke 12:13-21

Merry Christmas!
John <><

No comments: