Thursday, August 10, 2006

Just Kidding Around

We all have our pet peeves. You know, those things that irritate us more than anything else. They may or may not be rational. Usually they are small, insignificant things to most other people and yet they really get on our nerves. Take for instance; express check-out lanes. If you're going to go through the trouble of having a sign made that says, "20 items or less," and you're going to make it so that people with just a few items don't have to check-out with the people that have a cart load of stuff, why doesn't anyone enforce the "20 items or less" rule? I think that at 20 items, the register should just shut off. "Sorry, sir, you'll have to go to the end of the line if you want these other four items."

I really don't have many of these "pet peeves" but I do have a couple of them. Kids are another one--not my kids, other people's kids. I hate being around kids. I don't have the patience for it. They talk too much, too loud, too often. Most of them have poor manners and even if that's not their fault, I still don't want to deal with it--or them! Most of those moments in life that I'm really not proud of, are dealing with children or childish adults.

Those of you that know me are probably scratching your heads and thinking, "Wait a minute, don't you work with kids? Most of your ministry is to kids, isn't it?"

Well that's just a part of God's warped (pardon the irreverence) sense of humor. It was a cosmic conversation that went something like this:

In a moment of spiritual humility and servitude;

John: God, I'm ready for a personal area of ministry.
God: Great, John. What are you willing to do for me?
John: What ever you would have me do, God.
God: Really?
John: Really.
God: I'd like for you to work with kids. I think that they'd really like that
magic stuff you do.
John: Kids?
God: Sure, why not? You like telling stories, they like hearing stories.
John: But, God...
God: Yes, John.
John: I don't even like kids.
God: I like kids. I'm crazy about them. Don't you remember that stuff I put
in the bible about them. Jesus wanted them to come to Him, remember?
John: I remember. "...unless you come as a child, you shall not enter into the kingdom"
God: How about this one; "Whoever receives a child in my name, receives me."
John: Did I mention that I don't really like kids?
God: I love them, John. And I'm asking you to love them, too.
John: Isn't there anything else?
God: Be faithful in the "little" things first, John. There will be more later.
John: Was that a pun, God?
God: Yes.
John: Funny.

Anyways, here I am in children's ministry--and having a pretty good time at it. As much as hate to admit it, there have been some incredible blessings. Maybe you're having a similar struggle with God. Maybe He's asking you to serve in an area that is well outside of your comfort zone. Trust me, I know where you're coming from. Just don't let it get to the point that some of God's servants did. Remember Moses? "... and the anger of God was kindled against Moses" Or how about Jonah?

And He's right. More things--bigger things, have come my way. At some point I guess we just have to trust Him.

“The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb,
The leopard shall lie down with the young goat,
The calf and the young lion and the fatling together;
And a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6

John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...we have the same pet peeves. Although I have to add parents who let their kids run wild--after all, it's not the kid's fault that no one taught them to behave!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I've been enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work.

T