Today's Wednesday Word is not one that has a surprising meaning or background story. It is simply one that I have had a little change of perception or attitude about. We see it in different forms -- grace, gracious, gratitude -- all from the Latin gratia.
I was thinking about this because last week I had lunch with a friend and former pastor/preacher. As we sat down to eat, he asked if I wanted to bless the food (give thanks, say grace, etc,). I declined and let him do that.
Here's the thing (for me).
I don't ever want to reach the point where I take the good things of life for granted. I always want to express my gratitude, but I do believe there are different ways to do that.
"Oh, this is really good!" is an expression of appreciation and of gratitude.
The enjoyment of sharing a meal with a friend is an expression of gratitude.
A smile, a hug, an acknowledgement of a gift or favor received -- all are ways of being grateful.
At this moment I am sitting in a coffee shop, sipping an iced cold-brew, using the hot-spot feature of my new smart phone, and typing words on my Chromebook that will travel great distances and be read by a handful of people.
How could I not be thankful for the life that I have?
I often joke (sort of) about being a curmudgeon-in-training or about being a grumpy old man.
I'm not.
Mostly, I do want people to leave me the f--- alone, but that's just because I am so thankful for the quiet time that life provides for me!
Today, I will do a little of the outdoor work that I've been putting off because of the midsummer heat and then I will be thankful for the simple little pool that I have as I enjoy a cigar and evening drink.
Will you be grateful today?
How do you express gratitude in ways other than simply saying -- Thank you?
Thanks for reading!
John
Posts to Out of My Hat are just my thoughts on varied subjects from politics, religion, parenting, magic and life in general. Please feel free to comment on or share any of the material found here. Just note the source and, when possible, provide a link to Out of My Hat.
No comments:
Post a Comment