Saturday, August 29, 2026

Riding again

I finally did it!
After more than two years of sitting idle, my motorcycle has current tags and is ready to ride. 
I wasn't thinking about yesterday being the last business day of the month when I went to the licensing bureau, but soon realized why the wait was so long. It was hard to be too frustrated. Those procrastinators are my people.
I thought about leaving and waiting until Monday, but figured I was already there and waiting in line would be shorter than waiting until Monday. Besides -- I'm retired. Waiting is really no big deal.

I need to spend a little time getting reacquainted with riding. Yesterday's short ride felt good, but a little refresher riding on turns and overall awareness is definitely needed. I may take a ride today before the hot weather sets in again for a few days.

I don't think that extended trips are something that I'll be doing again. Even if I wanted to ride the 400+ miles to see Mom, she no longer has a car to use while there so I wouldn't be able to take her anywhere or pick up much in the way of groceries or anything. Besides, my hybrid Ford Maverick truck gets about the same mileage as the Kawasaki Vulcan motorcycle!
But riding is enjoyable, so I'm sure I'll be out and about a bit. 
Having such an option is a simple privilege for which I am grateful.

Enjoy your weekend and keep an eye out for old guys on motorcycles.

John

1 comment: